We consider work experience extremely important - our staff are more than happy to pass on their skills and knowledge to anyone wishing to pursue a career in this field.
Animal-related Work Placements
Due to high demand, we only offer work experience positions to students who are studying animal-related courses with an industry work placement requirement. We can also offer limited places to teaching professionals (contact education for more details). We are looking for friendly, fit, hard working individuals who work well in a team. Successful applicants will be expected to assist our animal keeping staff with their daily duties:
- Mucking out and cleaning of animal enclosures
- Feed preparation for a variety of animals
- Implementing enrichment for animals
- Public interaction (in some cases)
- Sea Lions
- Birds of Prey
- Lemur Land
- Pets' Farm
- Large Mammals (elephants, rhinos, giraffes)
Education Team Volunteers
We have vacancies for volunteers to join our Education & Inspiration team. Education volunteers help ensure visitors have the best day possible by offering extra activities around the park such as biofact touch tables. You will also assist with the manning of enclosures across the park, offer information about our animals, answer visitors queries, and help us raise awareness of conservation concerns. You will be expected to help the education team in fundraising for our conservation campaigns.
You must be aged over 18 and be friendly, outgoing, reliable and self confident. You must be eager to learn and have a keen interest in animals and conservation. Ideally you can commit to one day a fortnight, though desired availability will change over our open season depending on visitor numbers.
How to apply
If you are interested in volunteering or applying for a work placement, please complete our application form.
Please be aware:
- Volunteers must be enthusiastic about conservation and improving the welfare of animals.
- Tasks will not involve direct contact with the animals.
- Daily tasks are often very routine and can be physically demanding.
- All volunteers will work under the supervision of staff throughout their placement.
- Students and volunteers must be 18 years or over.
If you require more information please contact the education department on 01786 843105 or email firstname.lastname@example.org